Friday, March 20, 2009

Upon waking this moment will unwind itself

This week I had the good fortune of seeing You Me & Iowa, who are quickly becoming one of my favorite local bands.  This is especially noteworthy because unlike Carney or the Ruse, I was introduced to their music before any members of the band.

I was hanging out with Buddy Girl Cath at Hotel Cafe, when they took the stage and opened with “Christmas Time is Here”.  Instant points for an awesome cover of one of my favorite Christmas songs, but talented performers don't always translate to high-quality bands.  I had time to stick around for “Dress the Stage”, which segued from the Vince Guaraldi classic.  I was sold.  On the strength of that song, I made a point to see a full set the next chance I got; even if it meant driving to Silverlake.  Their live show as well as their recordings showcase the polish of a much more veteran band.  I was surprised when lead singer Andrew Carroll told me that the night I happened upon them at Hotel Cafe was their first show in Hollywood.  They are a band who could very easily go very far.  They remind me of a combination of old and new Incubus.  Not so much in regards to their style, but more so in terms of their creativity.  A band that bands would like, and songwriters talented enough to have a broad appeal.

Without preaching that you should buy their record now (though they might send you a second free), I will strongly suggest that you watch one of their videos.  Remember the creativity I mentioned earlier?  This is it in a nutshell...

No comments:

Post a Comment