Friday, March 6, 2009

Public servants just don't understand

I don't do drugs.  I never have.  I won't do drugs today, and the odds are high that I won't do drugs tomorrow.  As a matter of policy I try not to plan much farther ahead than that.  I  do, however, know a number of people who have used drugs in the past, could use drugs today, and may very well use drugs tomorrow; it will be Saturday, after all.  Traditionally I never cared that that's a manner in which they chose to spend their time and money.  They most assuredly would not ascribe any greater value to my collection of Star Wars novels.  All of this was before today.  Before I learned what really hangs in the balance.

I have to thank 1up.com by way of Penny Arcade for bringing to light the true perils connected to drug use.  After the implication that drug use would lead to breakfast fell flat, the producers of anti-drug PSAs have decided to hit young people where we live.  I don't think that I'm alone when I say that my ability to complete Prince of Persia is far more compelling than the thought of, oh I don't know... dying.

I respect what people are trying to do with regard to steering kids away from drugs, but there's a line.  Across this line the impact is lost, and the message becomes fodder for bloggers who are both handsome and awesome.  I have been a young person -- to one degree or another -- all my life.  And I know my kind well enough to say definitively that if Leonardo and company could not keep my generation from using drugs, nothing will.

No comments:

Post a Comment