Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lectori Salutem

What's up, everybody?  I've decided to run a little experiment, and you get to be part of it.  But before we start proper, let me back up and give you a little bit of history, for the sake of context.

I love going out.  I love seeing bands, eating at diners, watching movies, hanging out in bars... all manner of things that are customary for twenty-somethings living in the big city.   But here's the thing... I run in a broad circle with such varied interests that I can't always rely upon my friends' opinions of what's awesome and what's less than awesome.  Not that they're not valid opinions, they just don't always fall in line with my likes, dislikes, and various idiosyncrasies.

This became less of an issue when I discovered Yelp.  It turns out that teh internets are full of people, a few of whom like the same things I like.  Who knew?  It was a new dawn.  I learned that I could look to a few reviewers I trusted to get recommendations on bars, restaurants, and the like.  In turn, others were interested in what I had to say about spots around town.  I was not prepared for this, but cool.  Let's run with it.

But wait... I have opinions on things that aren't exactly "Yelpable" -- that is, they don't have physical addresses.  If people care about why I love Timmy Nolan's and hate the Happy Ending, maybe those same people would care why I love Stone Temple Pilots and hate M.I.A.  That's how we wound up here.  This will in effect be my Yelp for everything that isn't a place.  Bands, movies, TV shows, people I meet on the street, you name it.  I hope we all enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment