Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Judgments and so forth...

Generally speaking, I subscribe to the notion that one should not judge a book by its cover.  Generally speaking.  There is important data that can be extracted about a book based solely on its cover, whether it be metaphorical or otherwise.  Example, if one does not wish to read a book about dragons, one should not invest time in a book with a dragon on the cover.  And if one doesn't wish to date a nerd, maybe don't hit on a girl wearing a Princess Leia '08 t-shirt.

This was the thought process I employed when promos for "Important Things with Demetri Martin" first made their way to my television screen.  I assumed that, like so much in our society, the title was meant to be ironic and that this Demetri fellow would instead drone ad nauseam about inane things, Napoleon Dynamite-style.  No, I didn't like that movie.  Let's put that behind us and move on.  I'm not sure what made me want to give Mr. Martin a fair shake.  I'll chalk it up to free time and a mild curiosity.

My sense of humor was cultivated in Death Valley -- that is, it's dry.  As a result, I wholeheartedly agree with his policy on who should throw stones and when.  Apparently the brand of his comedy is not news too regular viewers of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart".  I was impressed to learn that each episode of his show is devoted to tackling a matter that is (to some degree or another) important.  This is an instance in which I'm glad to have been wrong.  Now I have another stand-up comic whose work I can enjoy.  He's probably not for everyone, but if you like words, you're in for a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment